Tuesday, December 1, 2009

brunch with genii

cappuccino. three chairs and two moleskins.

-

"Do you believe in alternate universes/dimensions?" You said. the physicist.

"I guess so. In theory, it's plausible." I replied. in mind - sure I'll bite.

"You're right, in theory that is.

The common perception of alternate dimensions where everything is a complete opposite of the current existence around us (black is white, white is black) and that these dimensions are separated from the ones we live in. That's one theory.

However, there are some physicists that actually believe these dimensions aren't separated at all. Instead, in our understanding, there are actually infinite number of dimensions that overlay one another to form this web of eclectic change. " You explained.

"So in a way, they're linked?" I asked; in a vague attempt at understanding.

You moved closer towards the table and open your moleskin to a blank page where a blank Lamy pen was sitting, ready to be scribbled.

"Yes and No.

While they are basically slight vary from one existence to another, there are some that could be affected by a drastic occurrence and some wouldn't. Nevertheless, the change could be very minuscule but otherwise similar in any other way possible.

Would you like an example?"

You looked at me with a page filled with circles linked resembling the Olympics logo.

I nodded with a crooked smile as you quickly turn the page and began scribbling. sure.

"Okay. Hmm..

As a child, I've always had a passion for math and science, you know that. (Yup.) But I've always had a keen interest in engineering and how things work mechanically and had never pursue that interest.

In theory, in another dimension, I did.

Or another example,

You know how we couldn't decide whether to go here or that other place you wanted to show me but we ended up heading here because it closer. (Mhmm.)

In theory, everything lead up to that moment was exactly the same but we ended up going to the Thousand Blend, the place you wanted to show me." You said as you stared at me with high eyebrows in hopes I finally understood.

"So what you're saying is every decision, every possibility, every left instead of right turns,
Everything that could/should/would have happened, did happened somewhere?"
I replied.

"Precisely." You nodded.


written by I.O.

p.s. "So there's a dimension somewhere out there where Hitler could be ruler of the world?" M said.

No comments:

Post a Comment